Monday, August 16, 2010
Last hoorah before school starts!
So this weekend we all hopped in a busito (a large van that has about 14ish seats) and headed for the northern coast to a town called Triunfo de la cruz. There we rented three cabañas on the beach and relaxed from Thurs morning to Sunday afternoon. The cabañas cost us between 300-400 Lempiras each night. We had 4-5 people in each cabaña. Roughly that translates to about $4 a night for each person. So great! (If anyone wants to come visit me while I'm here feel free. Getting here is the most expensive part. Once you're here it's pretty cheap to get around! )
We arrived at about 10:30am and immediately put on our swim suits, I lathered up with LOTS of sunscreen, and hit the waves. The water was clean and clear but sadly a bit warm. It was still refreshing though. Once lunch time came about we quickly realized that our 300 lempiras ($15) per person for all of our meals while on vacation was not going to get us very far. We stopped at several restaurants on the beach only to learn that a a typical plate cost between 100-160 Lempiras. Clearly this was not going to work out well, thus we did the best thing you can do here in Honduras, we talked to the locals. We came to a pulperia where several men were relaxing with some beers. We asked them if they knew a place that was more affordable and explained our budget. A guy named José lead us to a place that his cousin owned. It was much more affordable.
The rest of vacation was nice and relaxing until I got sick the first night. Another lovely case of digestive problems. I just chilled on the beach all day going back and forth from falling asleep listening to the waves and running to the bathroom. Thankfully it passed.
The only other eventful part of the trip was a day trip we took to a national park off the shore a ways. We swam in the ocean, took a jungle hike (aka the jungle from hell. SOOOO many mosquitoes. We all got brutally attacked. Too many bites to count), swam through a small cave, and snorkeled. It was a fun change of pace from laying on the beach.
Now we are back. We have this last week to prepare for school and then we start on Monday. I'm starting to feel really nervous about teaching. In some ways I'm really ready for school to start and I'm ready to have a normal routine. On the other hand I am starting to feel the way I feared I would feel: I don't really feel like I had a long enough of a break to be mentally prepared to teach another year. I guess ready or not, here we go. I think I am a little bit intimidated of being compared to their past teachers since everyone is only here for a year at a time. I hope that I can be strict enough and also not too strict. I am still not sure what I want to do for a reward/punishment system. I have both liked and not liked things I have done in the past. I also hate that I do not start of end the day with my students. My students have Estudios Sociales (Social Studies) first thing in the morning and then they have Español (Spanish) last. I think that is going to be really challenging. The first thing in the morning and the end of the day are so crucial. I am kind of bummed. I guess I have the next six days to get pumped and ready to go. More thoughts to come later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment