Thursday, March 3, 2011

long time no write...

first of all, Aunt Teresa, yes I am alive.  Also, thanks for the valentine's day card : )

So it has been a while.  Things have sort of been same ole same ole here in the du.  A few weekends back I did one of my favorite past times, bowling.  It was just like bowling in the states.  Same cheezy cartoon bowling pin videos and everything on the screens.  Only difference was the music.  Reggeton all the way.

The heat is back people.  The heat has been back and will only continue to rise.  Also, there has not been rain in quite a while and it is SUPER dusty here.  A bus goes by and you have to hold your breath and close your eyes more than normal.  If I walk the back way to school my feet look like they are a completely different ethnicity than the rest of my body.

My class has put my compassion and patience to the test these past three weeks.  The hormones and the attitude are present in full force in my 6th grade classroom.  So much so that discipline has been a large problem and I've had to implement a new discipline system.  I feel like it is helping a great deal, however some students still seem to struggle.  Sadly one students these past three weeks as pretty much self destructed and today wound up getting himself two weeks of out of school suspension.  It kills me to watch this student struggle and I only hope these two weeks help him turn over a new leaf rather than return to school with more anger.

This weekend we will experience Día Típico (typical day) on Sunday.  Each class is representing a department of Honduras and has a booth that is decorated and sells food.  One child from each class dresses up in the typical garb of that department and also several students do a presentation.  And of course like any quality Honduran event there will be multiple fútbol games  Our class is representing the department of Yoro, Honduras.  We spent the past few days making fish and butterflies out of dyed corn husks (the decorations are supposed to be made out of natural materials).  I'm excited to experience Día Típico and REALLY excited to experience all the great delicious food!  Best part is that it is such an event that it takes Monday to clean up so NO SCHOOL MONDAY : )  

Happy Friday and Happy weekend friends and family!  Pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment